New, Improved Baldwins

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:24:38 -0600

Hi Kent,
             The front studs should be set with .020" clearance, the
thickness of a 6" machinist rule, for the full depth of the front rail.
Here is a fast way to set the rails if you have a Jaras key leveller.

1. Back off the balance rail glide bolts.
2. Set the front rail glides for the above clearance, and no knock.
3. Set the balance rail glides so movement is just detected from the front
of the key on the Jaras.
4. Fine tune the above adjustments with audio knock test.

Caution: If there is not .020" clearance at the rear of the front rail, it
is posible for the sharps to cause the knocking.
Regards Roger

At 12:04 PM 1/25/01 -0600, you wrote:
>I was called out to see a Baldwin R less than 2 years old. The piano was
>unplayable. The action was in need of thorough regulation, but the _big_
>problem was that the front rail was bowed up, decreasing the key dip by
>unworkable amounts. The front rail has adjustable studs in the keybed, but
>the front rail was flying way above the studs, making for a rather
>interesting feel while playing. I must admit I wasn't sure what to do; if I
>raise the studs to bed the front rail, and adjust the height of the keys and
>the front rail punchings to get correct key dip, won't I just be asking for
>problems if the front rail decides to change shape again come the high
>humidity of summer?
>
>Any experience out there that could help in this situation?
>
>Kent Swafford
>

>on 1/25/01 6:59 AM, Pianofxrguy@AOL.COM at Pianofxrguy@AOL.COM wrote:
>
>> In a message dated 01/23/2001 11:36:15 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
>> purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu writes:
>>

>>> .  They were fine when they got here but over the Christmas break the
>>> regulation went completely out the window
>>
>> I have a couple of these grands at a small college in Mishawaka, Ind.
and had