S. Kawai

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:34:10 -0700

    Gee, I'm sorry Don. Of course, you are the final authority, but I =
couldn't remember if it was twenty or thirty gains per inch. Sure Looks =
like thirty.  Anyway, nice really tight grain. Very uniform grain.  Good =
boards.
    I think that our dealership does offer a pretty good price on these, =
but not below a certain level.=20
    Hey, I'm a tech, not a salesperson, and I have seen the right =
salespeople offer a rock bottom deal to a "player", knowing that word of =
mouth works better sometimes than paid advertising. And after someone =
who can really play tries one, you can tell that they are sold.=20
    Unfortunately, sometimes real players are not the ones who can =
afford the really nice ones.
Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Donald Mannino=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 9:21 PM
  Subject: Re: S. Kawai

  Hi Kevin,

  Sorry, I appreciate your posts, but I need to correct a few small =
things.

  Unless your dealer is offering some funny discounts, I think the =
prices are quite a bit higher than the standard Yamaha pianos.  I have =
no idea how much the Yamaha S pianos cost, though, so maybe you meant =
the Shigeru Kawai is similar to them.

  Also, 30 grains per inch is a kind of tight for a good soundboard.  =
They maintain a fairly consistent 14 grains per inch, and don't want to =
go finer than that or the board would likely be too stiff.  The main =
thing about the boards is that the spruce is air-dried for so long =
before the final seasoning.  I think this makes a big difference in the =
tone.

  They sure are nice to play, aren't they? I sometimes spend part of my =
lunch break practicing on one of them.  We have a mighty nice SK-6 in =
the Kawai showroom right now that I have trouble staying away from.

  Don Mannino