money and big brother

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:50:46 EST

Paul writes:
<< Rule of thumb: don't discuss prices for services; discussing prices or
costs of parts available is certainly kosher.>>

Greetings,
   The anti-trust law is in place to prevent fixing prices and
"restraint-of-trade.  This doesn't mean prices cannot be discussed, it means
prices cannot be set by agreement between competitors.
     If I were to say that everybody should charge XX dollars for a given
service, I would be guilty of attempting to fix prices.  If I say I charge
$108 for a normal tuning, $150 for a first visit, or $700 for a complete
regulation,  I am not telling others what to charge,  I am describing the
economic conditions that I work in.
    If you charge too little for your quality of work, you will find that you
are buried in appointments and cannot keep up with the demand.  If you charge
too much, you will find yourself staring at the telephone, hoping it will
ring.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT