Fw: Concert Tuning Info Emergency

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 01:55:18 +0000

Hi Terry!  Congrats!

Well, the first time I tuned for a concert was exactly something like this,
actually it was my first tuning for someone outside the school, EVER, so
you can imagine how nervous I was.  It was a hot dog festival of some sorts
in Vancouver, WA.
I remember having my worries, because I tuned it in the school, and it was
to be moved to the festival and used there.
All I remember my teacher (Ken Serviss) saying was something like:
"Donīt worry, theyīll be so drunk they wonīt notice a thing, if they can
even hear the piano from all the background noise."

Well, I tuned it, but it never got to the festival, it fell off the truck
when they were loading it!  I checked the tuning, and the thirds hadnīt
even moved at all.  The front leg and key slip area were quite demolished
though!
Well, I think I tuned another piano,  but donīt remember.
As to advice on the tuning itself, well, this is going to be a tough one.
Remember not to hurry with the temperament, when you get that fixed you
have a lot more leeway and freedom to hurry up with good octaves etc. etc.
You need to remember that this isnīt going to be a recording-quality
tuning, no matter what, my dear.  For that you need more time, and quiet,
(which you probably wonīt have, and ah, stable atmospheric conditions,
which you wonīt have either.

Good luck,

Kristinn