Tuning Lever Ball

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:16:44 -0600

Dave and Phil,

I know it is a little late for this thread, but I have done just as Phil
wrote. Got the ball from a craft store called "Hobby Lobby." El cheapo and
el lighto, but it works el goodo. Seriously, I've noticed that it greatly
reduces hand and forearm stress. Before I began using the ball, I was
getting a little bit of numbness in my tuning hand. I scrutinized every
aspect of my lever technique and found that gripping the lever (it's a
relatively heavy Jahn from Pianotek) with my fingertips while moving to the
next pin added to the regular stress of gripping around such a small piece
of wood for extended periods. Using the ball keeps the gripping muscles more
relaxed. The ball, change of sitting position, and a little acupressure have
eliminated the numbness.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

P.S. I used very thin leather to shim the ball for a tight fit. I think the
leather is used for player piano repair.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of romanop@attglobal.net
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 12:38 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Tuning Lever Ball

Hi Dave,

I recently made one of my own. Go to a crafts store and buy a "dolls head"
wood ball. It's flat on one side where it would fit onto the doll I presume.
Get a forstner bit of the proper size (measure the handle of your lever
first!). I padded my machinist vise, inserted the ball, tightened it and
drilled it out on the drill press. Works great. Total cost (w/ forstner bit)
was about $ 15.

Phil Romano
Myrtle Beach, SC
(presently in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil!)