Key Leveling

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:21:19 -0600

Hi Terry,
             Sorry about the slur on you Jaras device, note the term
device.  Key leveller they are not, took me quite some time to learn that.
Most key bed, front lips are less than straight, so the device just follows
that less than straight line.  The objective is to attain level key TOPS,
not an unlevel key bed.
Set the height on the two end keys packed out with F/R heavy card
punchings, and taped down to the action frame so they will not move. Use a
48" straight edge to span the end notes. Level all the A's with the long
straight edge. then I use a 12" straight edge to fill in the blanks. Double
check with the long stick to finish off.
Ultra thin punchings are availiable from Yamaha. I think they are .0015"
but metric <G>
PS: the Jaras device is wonderful for setting glide bolts, but it will not
show you slightly tilted keys.
OK. I'll crawl back under my favorite rock.
Roger