Key Leveling

Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:43:40 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> You stick people.
>
> What methodology do you use to measure the gap between a key and the stick
> to determine how much punching to use? Do you just eyeball it and get good
> at it over time? And then, do you remove the stick and set aside to add
> punchings to each key, and set it back on the keyboard for the next key?
> What is your sequence?

When I use a stick... there is no gap. each keytop is to just "touch"
the stick. If I have to add or subtract punchings then of course the
stick has to be out of the way.

Personally, I like to rough them in quick and dirty by eyeball first,
after carefully setting the end keys of each section. Then I get down to
buisness. For most situations this "eyeballing" would improve the
situation so much that I could probably leave it at that.

> And Roger, I believe you had the choice words for the Jaras jig (I'm not
> arguing here, just getting info!), what is it you find to be inadequate in
> its performance. It seems to me there is a bit of wiggle in the rig for it
> to be real consistent, but I have worked most of the bugs out with mine and
> it works pretty good, but I must admit, it does not seem perfect. And I
> would like to have PERFECT key leveling every time. Thanks.

"Perfect" (and I mean really PERFECT) is lasts for only a few hours or
so. Get it good... real good and concentrate on making the action play
and feel right.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.