Concert Tuning Info Emergency

Pianofxrguy@AOL.COM Pianofxrguy@AOL.COM
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 08:56:33 EST

In a message dated 01/26/2001 10:51:46 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
A440A@AOL.COM writes:

> "artist"  will stand up on the stage and after making sure that everyone
> knows who you are, scream that you are the worst mistake he has ever seen

I used to tune for the Notre Dame Jazz Festival every spring. Since the music
department, at that time, did not consider jazz to fall into the category of
"music," they would not allow the festival to use one of their pianos. They
hauled an old, beat-up 7' Grinnell out of the basement of one of the dorms
and gave me a couple of hours to make it playable. It was always a challenge,
but it always came out OK  (all the notes worked and were in tune, tone a
little lacking but you can't have everything) and I got to listen to a
weekend of jazz for free.
One year Keith Jarrett got up after the last set, (after I had gone home) and
waxed eloquent about what an affront to professional musicians the piano was,
that it was a piece of junk, and he wouldn't consider coming back to the
festival, etc. I heard about  it the next day, with a hint that since I was
the piano tuner, I bore the ultimate responsibilty for the piano.   ??
Haven't tuned there since, but the next year, they finally assented to
renting a decent piano for the festival.   Oh, well.
John Stroup