Key Leveling

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:20:20 EST

In a message dated 01/26/2001 9:57:26 PM Central Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> You stick people.
>
> What methodology do you use to measure the gap between a key and the stick
> to determine how much punching to use? Do you just eyeball it and get good
> at it over time? And then, do you remove the stick and set aside to add
> punchings to each key, and set it back on the keyboard for the next key?
> What is your sequence?
>
> And Roger, I believe you had the choice words for the Jaras jig (I'm not
> arguing here, just getting info!), what is it you find to be inadequate in
> its performance. It seems to me there is a bit of wiggle in the rig for it
> to be real consistent, but I have worked most of the bugs out with mine and
> it works pretty good, but I must admit, it does not seem perfect. And I
> would like to have PERFECT key leveling every time. Thanks.
>
> Terry Farrell
> Piano Tuning & Service
> Tampa, Florida
> mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com

Terry, I'm not sure who I got the idea from but I just make a "feeler guage"
by glueing paper punchings in a line starting with two .003's half way
overlapping each other and gluing that overlapped to two .005's and so on.
Then I glue a handle on the end.
Works magnificiently, very fast and eliminates the guess work. This concept
may be hard to visualize so if anyone needs more info please feel free to em
me privately.

David Koelzer
Associate
DFW