Thurmer birdcage

John Voigt jvoigt@gwtc.net
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:28:09 -0600

List,

I had the opportunity (privilege/misfortune) to tune a Thurmer
over-damper piano yesterday.  Aside from having to deal with the damper
situation, it was a beautiful piano.  It looked as though much of it had
been redone including finish, pin-block, strings and plate.  The bridges
also were in good condition.  The cabinet was mahogany with burled
walnut insets in the music desk, fall board, and front panel.  There
were also candle holders on the sides of the music desk.  The piano was
bought in Germany while the owners were stationed there in the service.
When they moved, they said the movers strapped the piano to one man's
back and carried down two flights of steps and onto the truck. ( They
also mentioned something about how much beer they gave them.)  I looked
in Pierce and it listed a Ferdinand Thurmer from Meissen, Saxony
(Germany) but it also listed Thurmer as a name used by the Beale Piano
Mfg. Co. of Australia.

I am assuming this one was made by the German manufacturer.  If anyone
cares to comment on the origin and value of this piano I will share it
with the customer.  I told her most technicians don't have too many
flattering things to say about birdcage pianos. (How's that for being
diplomatic?)  But it really was in superb condition and sounded quite
nice.

By the way, I live in a rural area of South Dakota and found this piano
about 15 miles from the Mason & Hamlin screw stringer I tuned two months
ago.

John Voigt
PTG Associate