Piano Firing Missiles at Church Congregation

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 12:23:15 +1100

Bill Bremmer wrote;

>. . .  I need some opinions on what to do about it.  It is a
>Young Chang Grand model G-185, only a few years old.  It is meticulously
>cared for but early in it's service, the pianist at this, shall we say,
>"spirit filled" church complained of bass strings breaking and shooting out
>of the piano.

Broken bass strings shoot out of the piano when the string breaks at
the agraffe and the hitch pin is angled back suitably to steer the
projectile-string out of the piano. Bosendorfer Imperials are famous
for this, breaking at note C4  (in the Bos' this note is actually not
the forth string on account of the extra bass notes) which is strung
at nearly 400 lb tension with 1.35 diameter core wire. I've had two
Cs go off and frighten the hell out me. I actually tune these pianos
with my body off the line of the string to avoid wearing it.

>I have tried all of the usual.  I filed the hammers.

This is not the problem

>A monitor feeds back
>sound to the pianist.

This will help.

>When I explained to the church directors that it is
>the "vigorous" style of playing that sometimes causes strings to break, the
>pianist resigned.  . . . . . . . .
>
>I am thinking that these wound strings must have particularly high tension.
>Does anyone know if this is so?

The tension is not the problem. The pianist may be part of it, but
not all. Very often, small grands are built with rediculous string
angles at the front bearing bar between the tuning pin and agraffe
(in the bass only). While these angles can be tolerated in a home
piano which might only be tuned biennially, when such a piano is
tuned every other week it will invariably develop wire fatigue at the
bearing bar and agraffe.

>Over the years I have heard of other such
>instances that were cured by replacing the wound strings with a set of
>lighter gauged, "happy" strings.  It would seem to me that a lower tension
>would solve the problem but in reading the recent post about "replacement
>strings", I am confused.  Some of these strings have been breaking at the
>bass bridge termination point rather than the agraffe.  That seems very
>unusual to me.

Wire breakage at the bridge would tend to indicate that the wire is
fatigued through playing also. Church pianists, like the
congregation, can get pretty overenthusiastic at times. The feed back
monitor can help here.

>Should the manufacturer supply a new set of wound strings and if so, should
>they be a set designed for lower tension?  I presume that heavier gauged,
>higher tension strings provide a bigger, bolder sound.

A heavier wrap will produce a 'fatter', longer piano sound, while a
heavier core will raise the inharmonicty to produce a more 'growly'
tonal quality. The G185 bass is not a particularly high tension scale
(no piano with a 135 cm speaking length can be). I would advise
against rescaling. In any event, it's not necessary. The problem lies
elsewhere.

>What effect would
>lower tension have?  Just as a theoretical question, would tuning the
>instrument to a lower pitch, say 100 cents lower prevent this from happening

Percentage of breaking strain !!! The use of a lower tension bass
will not only give the piano a 'gutless' high inharmonicity bass, but
it will lower the percentage of breaking strain of the bass section
(particularly if the same core wire guage is retained), resulting in
a slight reduction in the tuning stability in response to temperature
and humidity variations. Mind you, there should be some percentage of
breaking strain variation when the string scale crosses from trichord
plain to bichord covers to facilitate tonal equality at the cross
(there should also be a reduction in speaking length of between 10 -
15% at this point also - it is for this reason that pianos which use
bichord covers for last couple of notes on the treble bridge, without
any step reduction in speaking length, are always a scaling disaster)

>It is also interesting to note that to date, only wound strings have broken,
>no plain wire.

You will also be interested to observe that the extreme string
angles, caused by the too-high bearing bar, only occurs in the bass.
If you restring the bass and reduce the bearing bar height to reduced
the string angle deflection to 15 degrees or less (I prefer around
12.5 degrees), the problem will go away. Don't forget to replace the
agraffes as well, the silly string angles will have destroyed the
agraffe string hole shape (just cut one through the lower half of the
holes with a hack saw and investigate the upper bearing surface with
a looking glass - you will be astonished at the damage). We have done
this bearing bar fix many times to small Kawai and Yamaha grands in
commercial service - to good effect.

Regards,

Ron O

--