Thurmer birdcage

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 12:06:51 +0930

Hi John

You have there an original Thumper from Germany.

Can't comment on value as most dealers / tuners these days don't like the
overdampers not only because they are different to mute but also because
they are old and the strings are tired.

Restrung they can be a nicely toned piano and if the action is good, they
play quite well. The dampers above the strings, when working properly, are
more affective than the underdamper.  "A good overdamper is better than a
bad underdamper."

But the cabinet,  that's another story.  Want to price getting a piano with
a cabinet like that today ? If you can find someone to do it it will cost
$00,000's.

I often tell the customer about the 'photo veneer' and how it was made, the
open air seasoning of all wood and the fact that when the piano was first
sold in 1905 (approx) the piano sold for (English Pounds) EP 65.00 and wages
at that time were 17 shillings and six pence per week.  An Australian
equivalent being $130 piano cost and $88.40 per anum wages.

This put the piano in the better range but not in the top range.  the
cheapest piano was about EP 35.00 and the best of the uprights were about EP
125.00.

Value is in this case is in the eyes of the beholder and ears of the
listener.

Yes I have sold these pianos for more than other equivalent underdamper
pianos because of the tone and appearance.  I don't mind tuning overdampers.

Regards

Tony Caught
Australia
caute@optusnet.com.au