Basic SAT III (& VTD) Questions

joegum joegum@webtv.net
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:07:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi.  I had the opportunity this afternoon to experiment with an SAT III
at a friend's home.  (My first experience with a VTD... II was trained
years ago as an aural tuner.) I was led through the F-A-C procedure, set
the temperament                              by device and tuned the
strip-muted middle register.  (The piano wasn't significantly out of
tune and very close to pitch.)  However, when I checked the octaves,
they were beating quite noticeably (one to two BPS).  Is this normal?
Is it now in some circles considered acceptable for octaves to be
stretched this much?  When you use a VTD in noisy conditions, how can
you have faith in what it's telling you without the benefit of aural
verification?  If the stretch is adjustable, can the stretch be reliably
individualized for each instrument without aural verification?  Thanks
for letting me pop back onto the list and ask these questions.  -Joe
Gumbosky