Key Leveling

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 09:53:09 -0500

At 06:30 AM 01/28/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Using a straightedge, how does one achieve the bowed-crowned center? Or is
>that still desirable?
>BAF II
>Bayou La Combe, Louisiana

My old Everett Key Leveling Stick has the bow built into it.

I have touched it up once after it became a little out of bow
by taping a sheet of sandpaper to a siding glass door and
judiciously re-bowing, checking my progress with a thread.

The other side of the stick is straight.

This stick is a laminate, 2" in width; the center 1" is mahogany
and the two 1/2" outer layers are maple.

The edges are angled also so as to stand vertically on a key
which is sloped rearwards.

A great tool which I don't think is manufactured any longer.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net