Basic SAT III (& VTD) Questions

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:28:28 EST

In a message dated 1/27/01 9:51:32 PM Central Standard Time, joegum@webtv.net
writes:

> Hi.  I had the opportunity this afternoon to experiment with an SAT III
> at a friend's home.  (My first experience with a VTD... II was trained
> years ago as an aural tuner.) I was led through the F-A-C procedure, set
> the temperament                              by device and tuned the
> strip-muted middle register.  (The piano wasn't significantly out of
> tune and very close to pitch.)  However, when I checked the octaves,
> they were beating quite noticeably (one to two BPS).  Is this normal?
> Is it now in some circles considered acceptable for octaves to be
> stretched this much?  When you use a VTD in noisy conditions, how can
> you have faith in what it's telling you without the benefit of aural
> verification?  If the stretch is adjustable, can the stretch be reliably
> individualized for each instrument without aural verification?  Thanks
> for letting me pop back onto the list and ask these questions.  -Joe
> Gumbosky

Joe

When I first started using the SAT, (started with the SAT II and am now using
the III), I had to used to how much the upper octaves were stretching,
compared to what I used to do by ear. At first I was bringing them back down,
because it just didn't sound right to me. But now I have become accustomed to
the stretching, and so far, (knock on wood) I have not had any complaints
from clients.

Willem