Bridge Recap Time

John Hartman pianocraft@sprintmail.com
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:40:08 -0500

Ron,

Since you opened up this can of worms I hope you won't be offended if I
add to the criticism. Your technique for re-capping bridges has the
following problems.

1 You have weakened the bridge by creating a vertical joint. The end
grain to end grain glue joint has little integrity. You have literally
cut the bridge in half.

2 The techniques you have used can not be easily reversed. I usually
don't consider this to be a big deal but in this case the remedy is
going to be quite costly. When the piano is finally restored an entire
new bridge will need to be built.

3 Your technique adds nothing to the quality of the piano. Your notion
of having new wood for the pin holes seems, to me, to be misguided.
There is nothing wrong with filling the holes in the bridge body with
epoxy prier to re-capping. If this was your reasoning why not build a
new bridge in the same manner as the original?

4 Your technique is more elaborate and takes longer than the traditional
method.

To recap; you have destroyed the bridge, you have created a new problem
for the future, you have made no improvement and you have wasted time.

There is a difference between re-engineering and de-engineering.

Respectfully,

John Hartman