Basic SAT III (& VTD) Questions

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:42:37 -0500

Some particulars related to consoles and other small pianos.

Dick Beaton wrote:

"If the "F" you used was a wound string, you will get a lousy tuning.
Measure the inharmonicity of the first wire string above F3 and use that
number for the FAC and it will be a lot better.
Dick MT"

Yes, for sure! I usually go to the second or third plain wire note above the
last wound string. Why you ask. I forget. I think Dr. Sanderson suggested
that - but I am not sure. Anyway, definitely use one of the low plain wire
strings. After measuring it's inhamonicity, dial back to F6 and enter the
value. Now your calculated tuning should work well for the plain wire
strings. But listen carefully to the  wound strings. You will usually want
to make them a few cents sharper that what the SAT will suggest. This is
where you use the DOB. I find sometimes that the wound strings on the long
bridge will fall into place with the plain strings - and sometimes not. But
just listen to a sampling of all different places on the scale and see what
adjustments you may need.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida