New thread title... Price fixing

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:54:22 -0500

Hi all,

It is interesting seeing how different people view the ideas of price fixing
and the 'legality' of price discussions.

I am wondering, though, would the conspicuous avoidance of discussion be a
warning flag in and of itself?  By our not being open about the discussion,
do we give the appearance of having something to hide?  (Not being critical
of anyone's position, just asking the question.)

That being said, I'll give my own perspective.  In my area, there are hardly
two tuners charging the same price for a tuning, let alone actually
conspiring to charge the same.  And from time to time, and not all that long
apart, different ones will adjust their prices.  It's really in a constant
state of flux.  Some will gravitate towards the higher prices, some will
gravitate towards the lower prices, some will want to be somewhere in the
middle.

The concept of price fixing has some intellectual interest, but with our
true nature, independent as most of us piano types are,  I seriously doubt
we could agree on the price of a regular piano tuning (not to even mention a
pitch raise) if it was all but mandatory that we do so, at least not without
major controversy, perhaps even weeping and gnashing of teeth. <said tongue
in cheek>

All that being said, I can't fault anyone who thinks that our current
judicial system could indeed make life miserable for the PTG for something
so ludicrous.  I'm sure it could.  Who knows what a hungry lawyer is capable
of convincing a bored judge of.

(Just blowing off some steam.)

Hope you all had a nice weekend.

Best wishes,