Basic SAT III (& VTD) Questions

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 20:48:31 -0500

Hi Terry,

You wrote:
>I usually go to the second or third plain wire note above the
> last wound string. Why you ask. I forget.

I can't really speak with much authority here, but I'll throw out a thought.
I don't know if you've noticed how some pianos are scaled (the kind of thing
a person might notice if restringing), but often, those last 2 plain wire
unisons are of some pretty significantly heavier wire gauge than you would
think would be there.  I'd guess it was an attempt to "even out the sound at
the break", or perhaps deal with changes caused by the end of the long
bridge being so close to where those end strings are.  (maybe, maybe not.)
But I have seen some pretty radical steps made in the wires sizes of those
bottom few unisons at times, and I can see how one might want to avoid
taking the IH measurements on those unisons if possible.

(Also, glad to hear the concert tunings went well.  But hey, you are a
friendly guy with a nice smile and a confident presence.  That really helps.
Ain't it amazing how much of a difference the non-piano stuff can make?)

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net