Key Leveling... Hey Berley...

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 21:58:30 -0500

At 12:13 PM 01/28/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Hey Brian
>To crown or not to crown that is the question?  I've done it both ways but
>do not see the point even of  a slight radius .If the keyboard level
>flattens out more in the middle because of the obvious increase of useage in
>that area( which it does) then releveling will be needed anyway to fix the
>loss in DIP/. AFTERTOUCH due to the felt compaction.   Brian ,Sign me a on
>as a none crowner . Besides ,many  so called straight edges are'nt that
>straight anyhow and truing up a straight one is easier to my way of straight
>and narrow thought process. Are we ssss
>straight now?
>          Dale Erwin
>P.S.   1/32" crown over a 48" distance thats about a 6to 8 hundred ft.
>radius. grin. Please some analytical do that math and get back to me.

I don't have a preference for crowned or straight key levels. When
starting, I go
with in the path of least resistance. If the crowned edge means adding more
punchings and the straight side does not show a lot of high keys then I go with
the straight side which will require less height alteration. By the same token,
if the straight side knocks a lot of keys down and the curved side doesn't,
I'll
go with the curved side.

No big deal, whichever one gets the job done in the least time.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net