Chickering rebuild -- touchweight.

David Stanwood dstanwood@hotmail.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 02:23:07 -0000

Hi Gary,

So the point is that you want to get your balance weight down and make a
lighter action.

There are four ways:

1. reduce friction weight
2. reduce hammer weight
3. Increase front weight
4. Increase leverage

Some comments

>So far I have re-bushed the keys

Did you put try Teflon in the bushing felt?  Friction coefficient between
felt and metal is high.  Dry lube prevents wear but it's no substitute for
nicely eased keys. Friction weight numbers would indicate if high friction
is contributing to your heavy touch.  What kind of friction weights do you
come up with?  If they are high zone then Key Friction Weight would be the
first place to look.  (this method is published in the Journal) If that
checks out then hammer flange friction would be next, etc...  The numbers
tell you where to look..

For Friction Weight zones refer to:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/f-zones.jpg

>I plan to cut a little more weight off of the hammer tails

This is a weight modification.  Are your hammers heavy, medium, or light?
Strike weight evaluation would guide your decision here.

For Strike Weight zones refer to:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/sw-zones.jpg

>Hence, it looks like a reweighing of the keys is in order.

Try weighing off some sample to say a 40 BW and see what kind of front
weights you come up with.  If they are below the front weight ceiling then
your probably ok..  (Front Weight Ceiling was Published in the Journal, I'll
post it if you want….)

If it takes too much front weight to get even a 40 BW and your hammers are
not too heavy then you have a leverage problem and the capstan line has to
be moved towards the balance rail.  There are two rules to follow:

1. See that the capstan/heel contact point is close enough to a line between
the wip center pin and the balance point of the key that there is minimal
rubbing between the capstan/heel.

2. Don't move the capstan so far as to create the need for unacceptable deep
dip with a standard blow distance.  0.420" with 1.75" blow would be my
extreme for this.

Determining the average level of Strike Weight ratio will tell you if your
leverage is ok.  If the strike weight ratio is above 6.0 then any strike
weights above mid medium zone will be trouble...

All the above assumes that you arc geometry is acceptable.

Who said touch weight was simple?

By the way, the Touch Designer Toolkit is nice but you can take these
measurements jungle style with home made jigs as shown in the June 1996
article "The New Touch Weight Metrology"

David C. Stanwood