noisy dampers (wires)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:13:08 EST

Mike writes:
<< teaching that
Steinway Damper people intentionally make the damper wires rub against one
side
or the other of the guide rail bushings to provide stability for the dampers.

Greetings,
   Yes,  I have seen that class, and been told that at the factory, at the
store, at the job-site.  But I am talking about something far more pressing!
 When there is enough pressure on the side of the bushing so that even a
polished wire leaves that damper underlever feeling sluggish to the touch,
ya got way to much lateral pressure.  Not only will that note not damp as
cleanly as possible, the force greatly increases wear in the bushing.   This
pushes the guide hole gradually sideways, slowly distorting the damper felt.
The extra gram or two are also felt in the key!
   I am beginning to believe that some are using this as an excuse.  It is
easier to make the dampers travel smoothly with a lot of side
pressure,(excessive stability, to me), but the regulation doesn't last and
the dampers drag.  If everything is square and traveling straight, as J.Page
has described, the guide bushings and felts can last for years , with only
the slightest pressure on one side of the hole or other.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT