Finger Joint

Ron Lindquist ronli@newnorth.net
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:31:03 -0600

At 12:04 PM 1/30/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Another question: The distributor representative said that the Ciresa
>sound boards are made with "finger joints" between the different planks of
>wood in the soundboard. This supposedly reduces the possibility of cracks
>later on. I dont' know anything about sound board construction. What is a
>"finger joint", and is this a unique thing to find in a soundboard?

Most of the cracks in sound boards I've seen are randomly occurring and the
old glue joint is still intact.  The finger joint concept , in my opinion
is just Marketing  Hype.

Finger Joints, as referred to in wood working, are a variance in the center
match, or tong and grove concept, being multiple tongs and groves on the
edge of the panel and then glued together. If one would visualize the
joint  as your fingers  on each hand, and on the same plane, with the
fingers of each hand, inserted in the other hands fingers, making a solid
joint.

Hope this helps.   and or go down to the lumber yard and ask to see some
examples of finger joints in unpainted window frames.