SAT III beating octaves.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:42:32 -0500

Hello Jim Coleman, you SAT expert you!

I have sat through Dr. & Paul Sanderson class on using the Double Octave
Beat (DOB) feature of the SAT III. I have also read your piece regarding
using two pages of memory (with the SAT II) for tuning small pianos. I
understand the mechanics involved. Regarding the DOB on the SAT III, do you
have any recommendations for fine tuning the DOB setting for the bass on
small pianos? I wonder sometimes whether your suggestion of adding a couple
cents to the F value on one page of memory and subtracting a cent or two to
the other page of memory has any bearing or correlation to the DOB feature
of the SAT III.

I have been doing what I think Dr. Sanderson teaches. What I do is take my
FAC measurement. Mute off two strings of all the A's (or whatever note).
Listen to the octaves in the plain wire sections. Most often, with good FAC
measurements, they will work out just fine. Next listen to the A3 to A2
octave. Usually the calculated tuning will yield a bass note that is flatter
that that the ear likes. So use the DOB to adjust the tuning to make your
ears happy. Check the A2 to A1 octave (sometimes do one or two other
octaves). Usually sound good with the adjusted DOB. OK, so now perhaps we
have made for good octaves across the bass break (Have we? Do you do
anything else? Can this be refined with the SAT?).

Now we need to look at some other intervals across the bass break. The
thirds, fifths, fourths, etc. may need a bit of adjustment to get all in
order. Is there any way to use the SAT to work this out? Or are we just past
anything that we can program into the SAT?

Just trying to get the most out of my investment! Thanks for any input.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com