noisy dampers (wires)

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 00:28:35 -0600

>   I am beginning to believe that some are using this as an excuse.  It is
>easier to make the dampers travel smoothly with a lot of side
>pressure,(excessive stability, to me), but the regulation doesn't last and
>the dampers drag.  If everything is square and traveling straight, as J.Page
>has described, the guide bushings and felts can last for years , with only
>the slightest pressure on one side of the hole or other.
>Regards,
>Ed Foote RPT

Hi Ed & Jon,
                   I really agree with your sentiments, if every thing is
aligned perfectly vertically, and  with the guides correctly sized, and
finally correct travelling of the under lever.  There should be no need for
the sloppier guide, and side tension on the wire which increases wear and
drag.
You need to untill chapter 4 of the current damper series is published to
get all my thoughts on the matter.
The Yamaha corp. are absolutely anal about vertical clean travel, who am I
to argue they have one of the best damping systems in the business.
On the other hand pianos that use the drag type installation, seem to have
a lot more service calls to work on their dampers.  Just an observation.
As the guides wear, the damper head will occilate as it starts to seat, and
cause some unwanted tone quality.
regards Roger