SAT III beating octaves.

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:47:28 -0800

David,
Sometimes, depending on how much "pluck" you actually can get, the reading
of a plucked string is slightly higher than what the hammer does because the
string might be deflected more.  I would suggest being consistent and either
plucking or striking for both readings.

jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Kevin E. Ramsey
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 5:49 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: SAT III beating octaves.

    David, if you pluck the string as opposed to hitting it with the hammer,
you are not exciting a different harmonic, you are just exciting the string
at a different place than the hammer would, and giving yourself a little
better shot at seeing the eighth partial. As far as getting a different
reading from it, I haven't seen a significant difference in readings, but if
you're worried about it, you can pluck the string for both readings.