Hitch Pin Installation/Plate Problem

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:12:14 -0500

Hello all you restringing types out there. David Sanderson called me today
to inform me that some rescaling he is doing for me resulted in changing
four sets of plain wire tricords into wound bicords. So of course, a few of
the original hitch pins happen to be in an ideal location, but several were
not, so I removed five pins and installed five new hitch pins.

One of them, on the bass side of the sixth note up from the end of the
treble bridge, will have one of the hitch pins in that little area just to
the bass side of the bass bridge, and the other hitch pin for that note will
be in front of the bass end of the bass bridge. The strut that goes from the
bass end of the bass bridge to the bass end of the tuning pin area separates
the two hitch pins. The hitch pin for the bass-most string of this note is
far (relatively) from the tenor bridge, AND it passes over a low spot on the
little ridge on the plate just in front of all the old hitch pins. The ridge
is the ridge in the plate that the string bends over just before the hitch
pin.

So this one string goes right over the ridge, but does not touch it. In
other words, all strings on the treble bridge leave the rear bridge pin,
bend a tad over the plate ridge, and then loop around the hitch pin. As it
is, this will be the only string on the treble bridge that leaves the rear
bridge pin and angles straight back to the base of its hitch pin, without
touching/bending over the little plate ridge. Will this cause a problem? If
so, how can I build up the ridge? Can I just glue a little sliver of
appropriately sized hard maple?

If this is not clear, I can take a photo and send it. Thanks

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com