Lester Grand

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 01 Jul 2001 14:29:10 -0700

> Ron & Lorene Shiflet wrote:
>    ... the key rail was hinged to the fallboard.

I believe this strip is commonly called the fall strip, from which the
fallboard is hinged. Other styles, like the Boston fallboard which
pivots on the ends, usually have a smaller strip over the keys to keep
the keys engaged with the front rail pins. Steinway calls it a key stop
rail, Baldwin calls it a key stop strip. I call it a shipping rail.
Vertical pianos have a few other names like nameboard strip.

Tom Cole