How should I handle this situation

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:35:47 -0400

At 08:38 PM 07/16/2001 -0400, you wrote:<snip>
>I hate tuning this piano but they are a good customer of mine.  I also don't
>want to get a bad reputation when another tuner comes in and finds these
>problems that I never told them about.  How do I handle this without
>badmouthing my old boss?  Also, who should pay for the repairs that this
>thing really should have and what can be done without replacing the block?
>
>Thanks, Michael Crosby
>              Atlanta, GA

Refer the customer to the "rebuilder" for tuning. Let him struggle with it
and reap the fruits of his labor.

Don't make his problem your problem.  You can always say to him that you
don't want to wrestle with
the piano with the 'patches' he installed. Maybe he will re-rebuild it (in
good conscience) with a new block
for them and have a new respect for you.

Besides, if someone does this type of sloppy work, do you really want to be
aligned with them?

Best Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.