Sandblasting piano plates

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@home.com
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:29:27 -0700

Charles,
Yes, it does make quite a mess! Remember I use a pretty wimpy pressure =
and light sand. Full clothing and eye protection to the max. Lots of =
luck, but I think you will do just fine. Please let us know how it turns =
out.
Joseph Alkana  RPT
josephspiano@home.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Charles E Faulk=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 10:03 AM
  Subject: Re: Sandblasting piano plates

  Joe,

  Just got back from a local rental place. The 'handy guy' gave me =
pretty
  good primer on sandblasting. Looks do-able if I don't make too much of =
  mess. He explained about different grades of sand (fine, medium, and
  coarse), safety (a hood with a 4' x 8' piece of glass to see through),
  and techniques. All I need is "da nerve".

  I generally try to sell my clients on the idea of replacing the =
agraffes;
  solves a lot of future problems. And, yes, I reshape the V-bar while =
the
  plate is inverted during the pin block fitting phase.

  Thanks again,

  Charles
  GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.