Baldwin Rim Construction

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 16:35:22 -0500

Terry,

I guess I can answer this query. I was there.

Baldwin started experimenting with poplar inner rims in late 1978. The
obvious reason for such: cost savings. The "trial order" pianos, as they
are called, trickled through the line until early 1980 when the trial was
gratefully abandoned. The problem with them was a reduction in output and
resonance. This seems like a big "duh" to most of us, but the cost
cutting faction of the company had to have it proven in no uncertain
terms.

Another product of cost cutting that came at the same time was
elimination of maple veneer on the outside of the outer rims for the
ebony pianos. Another big mistake. When the finish inspection chalk
started leaving dents in the finishes, we knew we had gone too far.

I certainly don't want to paint Baldwin is a bad light. When they saw
that the poplar was not working ( in both cases), they went back to
maple. Quality does win out from time to time.

Charles Faulk

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001 12:05:08 -0400 "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
writes:
> Hello Del - other Baldin expert (or nearly so):
>
> I am looking at a 1979 Baldwin R for a close friend. I understand
> that in
> the 20s, rims were all hard maple and now they are all maple. But
> sometime
> during the 1960s? 70s? 80s? Baldwin went to poplar or whatever inner
> and/or
> outer rims material. What were they doing in 1979??????
>
> Also, just in general anyone know about anything bad or good about a
> 1979
> Baldwin R? I service a 1920s R extensively and it is one of my
> favorite
> pianos, so I am expecting very good things from this piano - but I
> realize
> also that 1979 was right in the middle of a weak quality era of
> american
> piano construction. Any comments? Thanks.
>
> Terry Farrell

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.