most disguisting service call?

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 15:22:28

You really want to know?

Maybe this is like cyber road-kill, you really don't want to know, but you
just can't look the other way.

Or, you just want to see what Ron got into this time, have a nice laugh and
maybe say "glad it wasn't me!"

Well, it wasn't mice, I ran into one in an organ years ago.  Seems there
were a few notes that wouldn't play.  The petrified remains were stuck
between the contacts.  I let them pull it out!

Nope, it wasn't bugs.  In my 'hungrier' years I opened up a piano in a
basement and watched as hundreds of roaches (seemed like that many)
scattered.  The owner just went to get the can of spray.  I banged off a
stool to place my toolkit on, and went to work. (No, I didn't mean because I
was hungrier I was searching for an alternate, crunchy source of protein)

No, this was at a local college that has an afternoon community program.
Little kids.... midwest winter..... cold and flu season.  Still wanna hear
about it?

You can still get away.... it's not too late.....

Came home after work, my wife told me that the head guy at the college just
called to follow up on his email he sent.  Hmmmmm, just checked the email a
few hours ago, nothing new.  Now, my poor insecure mind leaps into
hyperwarp, just tuned the D for a recital a few days before, haven't I been
doing a good enough job, what is he in a rush to tell me?  Logged
on....BZZZZrap, bebong, bebong, "you are now connected" (extra credit to
name the isp)

"Ron, a student just threw up on one of our pianos, the teacher cleaned up
as much as he could.  Give me a call."

Yikes!

Well, with kids of my own, and dog and cat urping experiences under my belt,
I grab the bucket and head for the door.

Patient:  Steinway B (no they didn't use the loaner Yamaha sitting right
next to it)

Location of 'material':  right on the keys, middle C position, gravity
assited to seek lower ground.

You know how there are a couple of slots in the key bed?  Well when the
action is pulled, it packs any 'material' deeply into those slots.  Ugh.  Of
course paper, carboard and felt is absorbant, so all those pesky punchings
will have to go..................one real late night....

Even with the rubber gloves I took an extra long shower that night. :)

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

Looking forward to the solo and ensemble 'bionic' tuning nights this month.