Royale Classic

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:45:57 -0500

The coffee had apparently not completely soaked in yet Ron. You missed some
Lulu's:

"Every piano stays 6 hours in voicing room."

That's what I do. Six hours with six speakers and Barry Manilow at 106
decibels. Does the trick every time. Piano sounds great after hearing that!
'Course, anything sounds good after that.

"Royale Classic piano use a cantilevered bridge design that allows the
maximum string length possible for the richest sound."

Send this one to Del. I keep telling him, everyone CAN'T be wrong!

"The action must provide a, wealth of musical effects that are extremely
reliable. The most important thing here is achieving the optical correlation
between the force which depresses the key, and the force that returns it to
its original position. The first determines the "feel" of the piano, while
the second determines how soon the key can be played again."

Optical Correlation? Forces? Whazzzzzzzzzzzup here?

"Before setting the action to the piano, we adjust all the damper spring
tension of each damper to attain an even touch."

Immediately adjacent to the above caption is a photo of a grand action with
a hand poking down into the rep lever area. Like someone said recently,
"after 25 years in the business I still learn something new" (paraphrase).
Must be a new system. Does Ron Overs know about this development?

"To prevent change and consequently distorted sound we first install over
220 treble and bass strings, and after determining natural distortion from
string tension and internal stress, size the skeleton ass' y for final
assembly of the cabinet of the piano."

That's what I do to. Before I did not do this. I built the cabinet so that
the soundboard and plate fit inside it. Of course, only to find out that
after it was strung, it no longer fit. You should hear that thing when you
take the grinder to the plate after it is fully strung with "over 220 treble
and bass strings". See, I figured this one out a long time ago. How come no
one has done a class at the National on this?

"The tuning pin and pin block are more responsible for keeping a piano in
tune than any other pails."

Now here I think they have gone a step too far. THE major factor in tuning
stability are pails. If you use hi quality pails of the right size and
install/adjust them properly, you will have good tuning stability. The pin
block is important, but not more so than the pails!

I'm sure there is more: http://jimlaabs.com/pianos/grand/royale/feaures.html

Thanks for the chuckle Ron.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service