Hello Seattle & Hoquiam

Thu, 1 Mar 2001 07:47:13 -0800

Earthquakes are strange things.

The epicenter of this one was located just north of Olympia and some 30
miles down. We are actually some closer to this point than is Seattle yet we
received only a moderate shake, rattle and roll. Enough to encourage me to
step outside for a moment -- I was at my computer in my office which is in
the basement of my house and that was creaking and groaning some -- but
still, relatively light. (Odd thing; my two cats were playing on the steps
as they are wont to do and they both stopped mid-tussle, looking around with
these puzzled expressions -- ok, you have to have cats to understand --
about 10 to 15 seconds before I heard or felt a thing.) One or two old
buildings were supposedly damaged, but they were pretty much damaged already
and probably should have been taken down and removed years ago. This was
just the catalyst.

And it's no comfort to any of us that the various news reports continue to
tell us that even though this quake was fairly substantial at 6.8, it's not
the big one the scientists who are interested in such things worry about.
There is evidence of earthquakes up to 7.5+ that changed the level of the
ground in various places up to 5 to 7 m. Since much of Seattle is built on
land fill, it's going to be quite a problem if and when it does come along.

No longer shaking near Seattle...

Del