Mason & Hamlin scale design

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 09:44:19 -0800

Alright, I've got a question.  Baldwin grand, about 5' 7" (didn't actually measure), poorly "restored", plate serial and model numbers covered when refinished.  Fallboard folds into itself ala old Chickerings, which I thought was unusual for a Baldwin, front of keyframe has 4 numbers embossed...9507.  Pierce says between 1895 and 1900?  I couldn't find any other #.  I brought this piano up from -40 and everything was fine except the 6 tenor wound strings were 2 whole steps flat.  I brought up the first and bang.  I tried another and bang.  Decided to replace all six strings.  The windings didn't look particularly well lined up so I'm not sure I want to use them as samples.  Why would they break?  I called Baldwin and with the info I gave:  10 single string unisons, 16 double string unisons in the bass & 3 double string unisons in the tenor, the technician said it matched the R scale.  I went ahead and ordered tenor duplicates as per that scale.  Is this a waste of time?  I could go back and measure from hitch pin to winding etc. but that means an extra trip....

David I.