VJ lube

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 09:59:45 -0800

Greg Newell wrote:

> O.K. folks,
>     I spent some time tonight making one incredible mess making this
> witches brew we call VJ-Lube. Could someone post the most common uses
> for this goop? I think I made more than enough to last for a room full
> of techs. BTW, how did this stuff get it's name anyway?

Greg,

In the April, '79 issue of PTJ is an article on piano lubricants written
by Ben McKlveen in which he attributes the invention of VJ lube to the
late LA tech Victor Jackson. The recipe Ben gave was: Heat a 7-1/2 oz
jar of Vaseline and add Johnson's baby powder and a teaspoon of lanolin.

It's great for lubing the pins and springs of pedals and trapwork
although in recent years I've taken to using Protek grease.

Tom Cole