Thine Hallow Pitche

Brian Lawson lawsonic@global.co.za
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 20:37:09 +0200

SACRILEDGE!!!

>From you outcasts in the Northern Globe nothing more can be expected

You cast aspursions upon the hallowed pitch of 440, brought to this world by
the Tuning Knights of old!

May your hammer bend in the volcanic ash that covers your miserable little
rock.

Brian Lawson, RPT
Johannesburg, South Africa  :)

O.K.  Carol wrote about the pitch thing.

We normally tune to A440, but the symphony tunes to A442  We donīt take
them as far as A444 (unless perhaps when stock tuning new pianos). I heard
A444, is concert standard in Austria and the Czech Rep., but thatīs another
matter.
I have customers that play in the Iceland Symphony Orchestra and I donīt
hesitate to bring a piano up to 442, as long as the strings etc. are
healthy.  In fact, any time I tune a piano I ask whether there are other
instruments going to be used with it.

I have NEVER had a problem resulting from tuning an instrument to A442.
There has never been a broken string at a concert I have tuned for.

So whatīs the deal with the holy pitch?  Are there many tuners out there
that will absolutely NOT bring a piano above A440,
and will -quote- "sooner quit their jobs than do it" -unquote- (hi
Carol).  Iīm not talking about whether to charge more etc.  just the
principle of the thing.  I know this has been covered many times before,
but please.

Carol knows that I think itīs ridiculous, if the instrument is healthy.
<g>  What do other people think?  And what about other Europeans?

Kristinn "Psychotuner" Leifsson
Reykjavík, Iceland