Thine Hallow Pitche

Thu, 01 Mar 2001 20:30:46 +0100

> I have customers that play in the Iceland Symphony Orchestra and I don´t
> hesitate to bring a piano up to 442, as long as the strings etc. are
> healthy.  In fact, any time I tune a piano I ask whether there are other
> instruments going to be used with it.

Bergen Philharmoniske Orkestra also tunes to 442, whereas the University's
Griedakadamiet where I work for officially has 440. There is a lot of crossovers
between these institutions. I end up tuning at 441 on most instruments just as a
matter of personal survival... turns out to be a happy medium.... happy enough
anyways..

> I have NEVER had a problem resulting from tuning an instrument to A442.
> There has never been a broken string at a concert I have tuned for.

Me neither.

> So what´s the deal with the holy pitch?  Are there many tuners out there
> that will absolutely NOT bring a piano above A440,
> and will -quote- "sooner quit their jobs than do it" -unquote- (hi
> Carol).  I´m not talking about whether to charge more etc.  just the
> principle of the thing.  I know this has been covered many times before,
> but please.

Probably impossible to say for sure... but no doubt the real need for
standardization is a big part of it all. Cant have total chaos now can we ?
Already now I think its getting to be a pain in the butt when some combo shows
up with a xylophone or vibes that for some strange reason is tuned to 439, along
with a sax player who insists his instrument can only be played right at 443
whilst in the contract for the group the pitch for the piano is demanded at
442.  It can easily get worse I suppose.

> Carol knows that I think it´s ridiculous, if the instrument is healthy.
> <g>  What do other people think?  And what about other Europeans?

Personally I dont give a flying tomatoe.... but I just wish folks could aggree
on something and stick with it for more then a few weeks ...grin.  I have heard
some discussion about the pianos scale and design being figured for certain
pitches,,, but how critical this is I have no idea.... cant imagine it doesnt
allow for a rather sizable window really... but who knows...

One last note.. the main piano store in town is run by a tech who routinely
pulls his new samicks up to 445, right out of the box... This seems to me to be
pushing it a bit... but again I dont know for sure. He says as a matter of
course that its harmless to the piano...

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.