splicing bass strings

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:08:52 -0800 (PST)

I have two broken strings in my Ricca & Son piano --
my question is what would be the effects of having the
splice in the speaking length on one of them  (the
highest note on the bass bridge) ?

At the other end of the bass bridge, my low A broke at
the tuning pin.  There is not much room between the
string and the plate for part of the distance after
the string termination point.  What's your
recommendation here?

I am a pianist that uses all 88 notes and even that is
sometimes not enough  (but unfortunately I cannot
afford a Bosendorfer Imperial at this time), and only
having 87 (low A doesn't play thanks to a broken
string) is a bit of a pain.  :)