Thine Hallow Pitche

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 16:20:29 -0600

>...So what´s the deal with the holy pitch?...
>...What do other people think?...
>Kristinn "Psychotuner" Leifsson...

Kristinn, List,

A couple of ideas I have is some folks don't want to go back and forth, one
night one pitch, next night, another pitch.  Stability of the tunings might
be perceived as an issue in doing such changes.

If the pitch was maintained at one location, such as A440 +/-, I don't feel
it would necessarily be a big deal for most tuners to put it there.
Another angle might be some folks feelings that this is
injurious/unnecessary wear & tear to an instrument.  These things could
just be some excuses to get out of additional work, or could have some
validity depending on who's involved.

I personally don't recall ever being asked to tune a piano at any specific
pitch location (other than A440) in my entire career of 20 + years for any
orchestra or recital activity. On the other hand, I have been asked to tune
a piano at lower pitches, as much as -100 cents (half step), in personal
situations.

Since you were primarily interested in the principle of the thing,
Kristinn, I wouldn't hesitate to tune for an orchestra/recital situation to
any of these pitches discussed when authorized by the personnel in charge,
and a disclaimer of some sorts was given by me of the above mentioned
items, and as to the recognized standard adopted by a resolution at the
Piano Technicians Guild convention in Las Vegas, Nevada, July 23, 1986.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild