Strange call

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:28:01 +1100

Terry, Patrick, Ron N and list,

I suspect that the phenomenon you are describing, is something I have
discovered to be a symptom of acoustic trauma. As we get older we
tend to require the tuning stretch to be more extreme to satisfy our
ageing sense of pitch.

When I was a young tuner in my early twenties, I used to do
occasional work for the local Bösendorfer agent. This elderly man was
a 'tuner technician' from a particularly old school. The man was
seventy plus and the tuning skills which he may have once had,
unfortunately had long since departed. Now this elderly gentleman had
quite a large tuning clientele, and when he finally retired out the
Sydney area many of his clients came to me for service (ie. of the
piano variety). In almost every case, by C88, the pitch was pulled
sharp to the E flat above the C88. 'Deaf as a post', he was.

After four years in the tuning business I began to work for the
Australian Broadcasting Corporation. This brought me in contact with
many concert artists (several of whom had practiced for many hours a
day for many years). Some had clearly developed hearing damage and
loss. As a technician, the amount of stretch we put in a piano will
always be a matter of judgement (for the aural tuner at least), and I
have on many occasions sought the opinion of the pianist as to their
preferred stretch. I have noticed that pianists with greater hearing
loss (over the years you get to know the symptoms) prefer more
stretch in the extreme treble. This I believe, is also the reason why
concert artists with hearing loss prefer pianos to be voiced much
brighter than those younger players who are yet to lose their
hearing. To accommodate this problem when I was doing a lot of
concert tuning, when tuning for a pianist for the first time, I would
try to listen to a couple of their Cd recordings and note their age
also, to assess their possible hearing damage. Using this
information, I would set the piano voicing to a suitable level, in an
attempt to satisfy the performer. Thus, if the pianist was older and
probably deafer, I would tend to delay voicing that piano which had
got a little bright. Instead, I might just voice back a few of the
brighter notes in the 'high traffic' areas to keep the voicing
uniform, but maintain the overall level of brightness. On the other
hand, if I was tuning for a young rising star, I might voice back the
entire piano if it had got a little bright. After all, concert
instruments require some voicing every month or two. It just seemed a
good idea to time those service intervals, allowing the voicing level
to rise and fall slightly, timing it to the schedule of the
performers and their level of hearing loss.

One thing's for sure, older piano technicians and orchestral players
alike, are likely to be suffering from some considerable hearing
loss, and will tend to prefer pianos which are stretched to the
'hilt' and voiced to simulate breaking glass.

At forty seven I must be heading in that direction.

Regards to all,

Ron O
--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au