What do you tell a 90 year old lady....

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 22:06:43 EST

.... who insists the pedals aren't working right?

Situation. Lady approaches me at church and tells me her last tuner did
something wrong to her pedals. I got there today. It's a Acrosonic, and the
last tuner put on new bass dampers. When she played, she kept her foot on the
sustain pedal, and then complained that the bass notes kept ringing. For a 90
year old, she is pretty alert, and played half way decent. When I played, I
used the pedal like you're supposed to, lifting my foot when the chord would
change. She looked at me and said, "I have been playing for a long time, and
I never lift my foot like you do. I just kept it down all the time. That is
the way I have always played. But now the piano just keeps on sounding. Why
is that? What is wrong with the piano?" I tried to convince her there is
nothing wrong with the piano. But how do you tell a 90 year old lady she
doesn't know how to pedal correctly?

Willem