splicing bass strings

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 20:12:48 +0930

Keith,

I think Terry is saying that you may have a problem if you

1. Strip too much of the string and the winding looses its grip on the
flattened core wire.
2. If you bend the flattened core wire in the wrong direction it may break.
3. It can be tight doing this on a bi chord, gets a bit tricky twisting the
splice sideways for clearance sometimes.
4. If the copper wire is thick and you try peeling it of, it can loosen its
grip around the swag (flattened bit).

I know that in some new pianos the string is swagged for 1/2" with 1/4" gap
then another 1/2" swag.  Most older pianos seem to be about 3/4" swag but I
have seen 1/2" swag only.
Then, in China the swag is often not flattened enough and strings will
unwind if but slightly touched in this area.
Of course the hexcore bass strings are not swagged so this is OK, go for it.

However, Terry may be thinking of something else.

I do it because it takes too long to get replacements etc, then they go out
of tune too fast.

Regards

Tony Caught ICPTG
Australia