Regulating spoons

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 12:32:04 -0600

>...Anyone want to give me tips or advice on the subject?
>Clyde Hollinger

Clyde, List,

I treat regulating a vertical damper system somewhat like how I choose to
float the pitch on a piano, that is, to do the least amount of changes to
arrive at the best even situation that fall within the acceptable
boundaries of proper regulation.

FTR: All other regulation requirements from the keys on up must be somewhat
okay.

I first determine how the dampers are lifting in relationship to depressing
the pedal.  Then I determine how the dampers are lifting in relationship
when depressing the individual keys.  It's like I'm taking a visual reading
of all the discrepancies.

Taking into consideration these discrepancies, I decide where the a needed
balance of adjustments will best serve the purposes intended.  After making
my decisions, I then proceed to float the damper system so I can achieve an
even lift with the pedal *first*, then float an even lift with the damper
spoons by adjusting them.

It's a juggling act on ever piano attemped.  Sometimes one can get by with
minimum adjustments, sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming at the changes
that must be made.

Complete focus, unpressured time, and absolute patience will see you
through.  Without these it isn't a pleasant job at all.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild