graphman is back - re multiple partial readout EDT

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 19:52:39

Hi everyone

I got to thinking with the recent questions about multi-display EDTs.  I
went to a Baldwin upright that was close by and with pianalizer in RCT,
wrote down the the first 5 partials starting at A3 and progressing up to G4.
  To use the graph, you've got to play dot-to-dot with me.  Print it out,
connect all the 1's in order, next the 2's and so on.  Granted, the tuning
is not really smooth, but what I think is interesting is how NON-parallel
the lines are.  From note-to-note the inharmonicity changes.

Granted, I didn't make a REIU, (repeatable energy impact utensil), nor did I
have a flat mic set up on my laptop, but check it out! The scale runs from
-9 cents to 9 cents.  The numbers are the location for each of the 5
partials for the listed note (F# and G, 3rd, 4th partials are off the
scale.)

G  |                           |       5  1          2
F# |                           |    5       12
F  |                           |    5       21            3
E  |                          5|        2 1         3     4
D# |                       5   |       12            3   4
D  |                  5        |1 2             3   4
C# |                5          |1  2             34
C  |         5             2   |     1  3  4
B  |           5           2   | 1         3 4
A# |       5          2  1     |      3  4
A3 | 5             1 2         |3   4
   -9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1  0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

I think that by looking at this information, it is possible to make a smooth
curve with one partial, and run into problems with the other partials.  It
would be nice to know, like on D above, that the 3rd and 4th partials are
going in different directions.

Yeah, our ears can probably alert us to these problem notes just as quick,
but I'm graphman, so I couldn't resist.

I also got to wondering about different FAC numbers due to different
humidity.  Since the school is at 24% now, I think I'll try and take
repeatable pianalyzer readings of a few notes as the humidity rises over the
next few months.  What will change?  Tune in during the summer, I'll post
the results then.

enjoy your weekend

Ron Koval
Chicagoland