splicing bass strings

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:38:59 -0800

It wouldn't in general but don't tell me the tied string will sound exactly like its neighbor.  No matter how you do it, it is one ugly sucker when your through.  May or may not sound ugly though.  A lot of work for a string that will go out of tune by the time your to your car.  "But I'll just mute it off!", you say.  You now have only one string sounding again AND one string of the neighbor is now muted.  What has been accomplished?  IMHO, if and only if the damper isn't working because of the missing string, you need to put something in there.  If the damper works well enough, I mail the string or call it in.

David I.