vertical damper springs

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:31:16 -0800

This procedure is somewhere in the Journals.  Probably on the CD.  Search for Spurlock.  As I remember you block up the hammer rest rail so hammers are approximately 1/2 way to the strings.  With the key find a damper that just begins to move as the hammer just begins to move, winks...If you can't find one you may "GASP" have to regulate one traditionally!  Pull action and wedge up the damper lift rod until sample damper again just winks as you lift the wippen and the jack just contacts butt.  This means the spoon is contacting the damper lever at the same time as the hammer is 1/2 way to the strings.  Now adjust spoons so dampers just wink as hammer winks.  This is a good time to practice with your spoon bender as you can see the damn spoons.  The flat L shaped spoon bender seems to work the best.  By the way if you haven't read all of Bill Spurlock's upright regulation articles you are missing out on excellent info...the kind that changes the way you work!

David I.