splicing bass strings

Richard Oliver Snelson rsnelson@dave-world.net
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:30:32 -0600

Hello again, If I remember correctly it was mentioned that the string
tie in the speaking length did little to change the sound. Their
recording were done after removing copper. Which made big differences in
the string ,tone, sound.

The Boston strings that I mentioned are at the start of the bass bridge.
By the way Newton, had a shot at voicing them when he was here also the
Steinway dealer. I think it not a voicing problem, instead a string
problem (winding problem.)  Boston is willing to send replacements so
I'll try that first on the A# which is the roughest sounding. If that
doesn't help then I'll ask Sandersons to check the scaling and wind
replacements for all the small bass strings.
Their class is excellant and really opens ones ears to what string
problems sound like.  Hope they offer it at the National as I'll take it
again.

Rich Snelson