Vertical damper springs

Sat, 03 Mar 2001 17:07:05 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> Graeme, thanks for the slick procedure! I'll give this one a whirl next
> time. Just curious on one more thing. In your opinion, when is spoon lift
> "correct" - damper starts lifting at one-half hammer blow distance?

I second that emotion !!! Halfblow is certainly close to text book distance..
Remember this started out as a thread dealing with touch in pianos... you have a
little leway here to work with... perhaps more here then in many other
adjustments. Personally I like my dampers to start a little sooner then half
way. And I like as firm a spring tension as I can get away with without causing
problems.

> Also, in Randy Potter's course he mentions a method for adjusting spoons
> with the action in the piano. Says he got it from a lady at the Kimball
> factory. She "attaches a 7/8" thick block of wood to the strings (now how
> did she do that? Maybe a piece of light wood (balsa?) with a couple magnet
> strips glued to the back?) and moves the wippen up with one hand, and when
> the hammer just touches the wood block, the damper should be just starting
> to move. If not, adjust accordingly with good tool. Randy mentions that she
> removed all keys first and that he also does this. Doesn't say why, and I
> can't really imagine why one would need to do that.

I think this is because it makes it a bit easier to get the tool in under and on
the back side of the whippens with the keys out.... or what ?

> I have never tried the above method, but it sounds good to me. Now if I
> could just figure out how the heck to find those little spoon

Grin... I think that sentiment is shared by most.... and is probably at the root
of why there are so many good "out of piano" routines... whadya think ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.