The Pitch Thing

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 21:42:52 -0500

Carol wrote and Dan replied...

on 3/3/01 9:27 PM, Carol R. Beigel at crbrpt@bellatlantic.net wrote:

> Why do people want their pianos tuned to anything other than A440?

Some symphonic venues want it...(I have never been asked to tune 440 by a
individual piano owner. Anyone else?) I think the evolving wishes from the
symphonic folk (brighter&louder)is the push beind this pitch increase, and
not piano owners.
> Why
> would they want A-442 or higher?
Torques out a hotter sound from the orchestral instruments...especially the
strings...
> What is the sound that is trying to be
> achieved here?  Is is not true that a streteched tuning at A440 sounds just
> as "whatever" as a very clean (non-stretched) tuning at A442 or higher?
I think the two would be a bit different. The non-stretched tuning, tuned at
A442, would reflect a bit brighter tambre maybe, but the over riding color
of the 10 ths. and 17ths., as compared to the normally stretched tuning
would be the noticable difference, me thinks.
Dan Reed
Dallas chapter